Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Day 10: rest day

With the lack of sleep and all over soreness and tiredness happening today, I decided if I went to Crossfit I'd probably be too wrecked to go Thursday, so I opted to rest today so that the workouts are a little more spread out. I've also been listening to Robb Wolf's podcasts (which are great!) and he talks a lot about how a lot of times people who do Crossfit have a tendency to overtrain and not lose fat because of high cortisol. As I have a tendency toward higher cortisol and adrenal fatigue anyway I want to be careful not to burn myself out too early in the game.

Food today was good-- I brought enough food to work for once:

Breakfast: leftover stuffed pepper from last night with avocado

mid-morning: decaf coffee with a couple tablespoons of coconut milk

Lunch: leftover shredded chicken over mixed greens cooked in bacon fat and olive oil topped with salsa, and another tablespoon or so of coconut cream/milk eaten right off the spoon.

What's funny is I didn't think I liked coconut milk, but the Thai Kitchen kind seems to be 3/4 coconut cream and that stuff is delicious.

Dinner: I kind of invented this recipe on the spot:

4 small pieces of cod, covered in olive oil, lemon juice, pepper and a smidge of sea salt*, then cover all of that in shredded napa cabbage, chopped basil and more lemon juice. Bake at 400 degrees until fish is 145 degrees internally. (The package said it would be 10-12 minutes, but it was more like 20). A little leftover broccoli on the side and a 1/2 cup of frozen berries with a dollup of coconut cream for dessert (fruit is much better tolerated with a meal than on it's own for me, no matter how much fat is on it!)

*A note on salt: this is not strictly paleo, but I don't use a lot of it and as I tend toward low blood pressure, it helps me avoid dizzy spells so I keep using it. As only about 30% of the population is salt sensitive, I don't think this is something that necessarily needs to be avoided, especially when you don't eat processed foods.

No pics today-- too tired. I really am not sleeping well after Crossfit and I think it's just too much stimulation too late in the day. Hopefully once onramp is over moving to the 5:30 class will be a sufficient fix-- I can work out in the morning, but my energy is a lot better in the evening and I like the dynamic of people in the classes better at that time of day.

No comments: