Saturday, April 9, 2011

Days 26 & 27: Rough Waters

I haven't been feeling very good the last couple of days. Yesterday it was because I didn't get enough sleep-- I woke up several times in the night (likely due to the crazy intense Crossfit workout, the residual issues with my lungs (two days later and I still am coughing a bit) and the late dinner. I was so wrecked all morning and had a bunch of caffeine and felt a bit better. I went out for drinks last night with some old friends, though I only drank a half a glass of wine and then some club soda, but I was out much later than I usually am and didn't get to bed until 1am (thankfully I slept in until 9:45). But today I woke up with a very angry digestive system. I'll spare you the details but let's just say I usually tend toward constipation and the pendullum has swung way too far in the opposite direction. I'm not sure if I gave myself a little food poisoning, or if it was too much caffeine + alcohol and maybe a little too big a dose of magnesium last night. Or it's just hormones as my period came today quite early. I suspect the new dietary and exercise changes caused me not to ovulate at all this month. I'm not excited about it, but it's fine-- I am planning to go see my ND again soon and have some hormone tests to see where I am with all of this. What did I eat? Yesterday was very beefy:

Breakfast and lunch I had the same thing because it was the end of the week and we were out of almost everything. I made patties out of 1 lb of ground beef and ate them with the leftover mashed cauliflower, leftover bacon, and with breakfast there was some avocado which I left out of lunch. Dinner was steak and kale, which sadly turned out too salty because I made the kale in the same pan as the steak and forgot I had salted the meat and added too much salt to the kale without tasting it. Ooops.

Food today: meat and cauilflower leftovers AGAIN (if this is what made me sick I've definitely been getting a lot of it in!)

Lunch was a yummy salmon salad. I mixed 1 can of salmon with spicy mustard, half an avocado, and some salt and pepper and had it over romaine lettuce and diced carrots with a smidge of olive oil and vinegar.

Dinner: M. wanted Thai food. I usually get Phad Thai, but since I'm avoiding grains I instead opted for a Lemon Coconut chicken dish that was actually just what I needed. It was chicken cooked in coconut milk, I'm guessing with Tumeric due to the color, maybe garlic and probably a bit of sugar or something and served over napa cabbage. It came with rice but I didn't eat it. I can't believe how much more tolerant of coconut I've become-- I never used to like coconut milk based dishes and now I quite like them! I also had a couple squares of 88% dark chocolate. The very low sugar kind leaves me less likely to go crazy on it. Sometimes I even eat the unsweetened kind! Did a few errands today but mostly laying low waiting for my stomach to sort itself out. I took some emergenC with a scoop of L-glutamine and 2 probiotic capsules this afternoon, so hopefully something in that will fix it.

No comments: