Monday, July 6, 2009

Crossfit Incapacitation


Yesterday crossfit did me in. The workout was simple, but for an out of shape non-runner like me it was brutal.

As many rounds as you can in 20 min:
Run 400 meters
pull-ups to failure

There were no breaks between sets-- you just go until the man with the stopwatch tells you to stop. Unfortunately my lungs were not capable of taking in enough oxygen to support running that long. By 3/4 of a mile around I was having to stop and catch my breath and then walk the back side of the building (400 m is a loop around the building). I was a little frustrated because my legs are so much more capable than my lungs-- if it weren't for the need for more oxygen than I can take in the running would have been so much easier! I haven't run at all for years due to a knee problem (actually an IT band problem- which is still on the fringes all of the time) but I was never much of a runner before that either. The jumping pullups were an effort due to the lack of oxygen too and I was surprised to wake up with sore arms and shoulders this morning-- I was pretty sure I was giving up due to lack of air and energy rather than muscle failure.

I came home and had a shower and breakfast and then the headache hit. I had a splitting headache and dizziness until 3pm when I finally broke down and took an Aleve, which I hate doing because it's hard on both my stomach and my liver. I spent about 14 hours yesterday lying on the couch nursing my headache and reading (my girlfriends have got me sucked into reading Twilight and it was hard to put down).

Today I'm resting in preparation for what will be an even harder workout tomorrow-- tomorrow is the much dreaded run until you die workout very innocuously named "Eva."
Five rounds for time of:
Run 800 meters
2 Kettlebell swing, 30 reps
30 Pull-up

Given how hard yesterday with running 400 meters repeatedly was, I can't imagine how, um, fun 800 meters will be tomorrow.

No comments: