Friday, December 18, 2009

How school stole christmas...


I used to really like Christmas. Five years ago when we first bought our house and I wasn't in school I went crazy buying decorations and covering every inch of our house in festiveness. Since then, it's always a struggle. If school got out around the beginning of the month I could rally and it would be fine. Unfortunately, I tend to be done with school around the 18th of the month, at which point I am completely exhausted, my house is a total mess, and I have not done a single thing to get ready for Christmas. I really want to like Christmas, but I liken it to getting invited to Disneyland when you have the stomach flu-- any other time it would be really fun, but it's just hard to enjoy it when you aren't feeling up to it.

This is where I find myself today. I am so tired I can barely move, my house is a mess and I haven't bought a single gift. I did try very hard to go shop for at least Marc's family this morning, since we are celebrating Christmas with them this Sunday. I went to four stores looking for the sweatshirt Marc wants and did not find it, nor did I find the airpopper his sister wants. By that time I was nearly delirious in my exhaustion and came home to lay on the couch and recuperate before I do more errands.

I really want to send Christmas cards, reorganize my entire house, put up the tree, find the perfect gift for everyone and do lots of baking-- but right now I don't have the energy for any of it, which is terribly frustrating. Last year I didn't decorate for Christmas at all-- I was too tired and thought, well we are going to Oregon for Christmas anyway-- but we ended up being home due to the snow with no tree and we felt like we missed Christmas entirely. Somehow I need to find the energy but it's not going to be today.

2 comments:

Ryah said...

I feel the same way...
I didn't buy anything this year. I made a few herbal things for my family and that is it. Actually, I feel really good about it. :)

Tricia said...

I ditched the cards this year. less stress :)