Thursday, August 20, 2009

Gluten-Free Berry Cobbler


All summer I have been working on perfecting my berry cobbler. I started with this recipe but it was missing something. After a number of tweaks I think I have it just about perfect. A note: you could probably substitute arrowroot instead of the cornstarch to avoid supporting genetically modified foods (since I've never seen non-GMO cornstarch)-- I just don't have any arrowroot on hand . Sometime I will try making this with all Rapadura (which is minimally processed sugar cane) instead of the brown sugar, but I haven't gotten there yet.

Ingredients

Filling:
4 cups fruit-- I use two or three kinds of berries
1 Tablespoon Florida crystals/evaporated cane juice
1.5 Tablespoons corn starch
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup water
1 T sweet vinegar (I used fig vinegar)

Mix all the ingredients except the fruit together first, then add to the fruit and mix throughly.

Topping:
3/4 cup Earth Balance, softened (by all means, use real butter if you aren't allergic to it like me)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Rapadura
1 cup gluten free oats
1/3 cup gluten free flour blend (I used Bob's Red Mill)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Mix all of the above and then spread fruit mixture into a 9 x 9 glass pan and spread the topping evenly over the fruit. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Serve warm.

No comments: